The research done on this website is made possible by commissions earned through sales from affiliate links shared within the content. Learn more here.
The simple economic theory of demand and supply is always valid for all economic activity, and consumer drones are not an exception. In recent years, the flying machine business is booming with more people showing interest in using drones for business purposes and others are using it for what I call sport. Drones have proven to be our best friends for video and photo shoot. Whether for personal or business use, more people can now realize their dream of buying a quadcopter because the price is now very affordable.
As drones are becoming commonplace in our society, people are finding exciting ways to use them including drone racing. Like in every sport, drone pilots will complete by flying their drones to see whose drone is the fastest. This is a thrilling game, and it’s already gaining momentum across the US. The competition is using the FPV control which allows the pilot to see what the drone sees and maneuver the drone to race through the mapped terrain to see who is fastest. If you are a confident and expert pilot, you can join the race and become the next champion.
If you are a beginner to racing drones and want to know what is FPV, continue reading. However, if you already know what it is, you can skip the next discussion and go for the review of the best products.
The Best FPV Drones
The Best FPV Drones
The Best FPV Racing Drones
How to experience FPV
Experienced drone pilots already know what FPV controller that works best for them. If you are new, note that you can fly a drone using one of three types of FPV:
• Smartphone screen. This could be your iPhone, tablet or transmitter monitor;
• Bigger monitor. This could be your laptop screen;
• FPV Goggles. This is a virtual reality system that offers an immersive experience.
While it may look more comfortable just to watch your drone from your standpoint, you cannot see what the drone sees as clearly and closer as you would through the FPV monitor.
What are the real advantages of FPV?
FPV is not for every drone pilot as all operators use Line Of Sight to fly their unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) until recently. FPV is still the choice of many pilots, especially with advanced drone technology leading to an increase in distance, speed and height and they need to follow up on their drones.
Disadvantages of using LOS
• The pilot can only see the flight as far as his sight can permit;
• It’s impossible to fly in the obscured area;
• Hit or miss recording as it’s impossible to see what the camera sees
With the demerits of LOS, you can appreciate the benefits of flying using FPV. This medium helps you to see what your camera sees, so it’s an extension of your eyes aerially. You will have even far-reaching benefits when you use FPV goggle for flying your drone because it’s a complete immersion in flying your drone. The glasses give you the feeling of a pilot in the cockpit of the airplane.
Words only cannot describe the excitement of racing your drone with FPV; you just have to experience it to know. It makes you feel like a bird in the sky, yet you are right there on the ground. Once you made your first flight with FPV, I bet you won’t stop flying.
How FPV Works –The Basics
It will be helpful to discuss the basics of setting up FPV and how it works before we dive right into the reviews. We will discuss general setup here without delving into each product because we will explain accessories in a separate topic later.
FPV events simplified
• In the air, the Camera captures footage;
• It sends the feed to the controller;
• The controller converts the feed into a live image on the monitor.
The above events are happening real time because of the speed of transmission, and you can see what your camera sees live and direct as its seeing it. The display can be your phone/tablet screen or laptop monitor. Therefore, the resolution and quality of your monitor will determine the quality of the image you will see at your end.
However, the range at which your drone can transmit signal will determine how you receive those feeds. This is why mapping the distance travel of your drone is crucial before you set flying. If you are cool with what you see on the monitor of your phone, wait until you experience flying using goggle to see the real deal.
We will not discuss much on equipment in this guide because our scope is FPV enabled drones. You need to note the following points if you are interested in FPV:
• The higher your monitor resolution, the better experience you will get;
• How wider is the Field Of View, the better you will see;
• Head tracking, although optional, allows you to direct camera actions with your head;
• Style demands to establish your comfort before design;
• Your price plan should be reasonable as too cheap can be disappointing.
The Best FPV Drones Comparison Table
Holy Stone F181W
Holy Stone HS110D
12.6 X 12.6 X 3.3
12.6 X 12.6 X 4.70 inches
13.9 x 9.7 x 3.3 inches
10 x 8 x 5 inches
6.3 x 5.5 x 1.7 inches
*Scroll right on mobile device to see every item
The Best FPV Drones Reviews
It is a HD Camera 720p, Wide Angle Live Video RC Drone featuring Altitude Hold with RTF, Gravity Sensor. This quadcopter is a perfect flying machine for starters, and it’s well-matched with VR Headset.
Points to note:
- The drone’s HD, 720P Wide Angle, Wi-Fi Camera enables live video recording while flying;
- The Altitude Hold and Headless mode setting is best for new and kids pilots;
- The 3D Flip and Roll with the 6-Axis Gyro flying control system allows stable indoors and outdoors flying with the 3D roll just a key away on the remote;
- Return Home function takes a press of the home key to Fly Back the Quadcopter, and you don’t have to worry as your drone is on its way home.
The Holy Stone F181WWiFi FPV is compatible with the VR Headset to give you a way to see the world differently. It has a longer flight time, thanks to its robust 3.7V 750mAh LiPo batteries for more exciting flight. This drone does not require the FAA registration.
- High-quality camera. It features the latest 720P 120° Wide angle HD Wi-Fi Camera perfect for high-resolution photos and video capturing in-flight;
- Get a real-time feed. By Installing the App, you can get Real-Time feed to your monitor with the integrated Wi-Fi module to view exactly what your camera could see.
- Shoot quality footage. You can shoot quality video by using the Automatic Elevation Hold to press the throttle stick to keep the drone hovering at current altitude so you can capture all the videos and images you want.
- A beginner’s delight. FPV is Easy, Safe and Fun for new pilots. Its six axis flight control feature provides stability, easy operation flight modes, and amazing wind steadiness. The headless mode makes need to fine-tune the drone position before takeoff unnecessary, and it’s faster for beginners to master its use.
- Extended flight time. Robust LiPo, 3.7V 750mAh, batteries allow for more flying time.
- Delivered assembled, ready to fly
- Excellent camera
- Double batteries for an extended flying time
- Safe and comfortable flight control
- Best for mild wind
- A few parts, including the camera module, are a bit delicate; the wires get loose easily
- Intermittent flight, 10-minute flight, to cool the drone to avoid damaging the internal components
This is a lightweight drone best for everyone interested in flying. The module control is the most preferred of its features as it gives users the pleasure of using their smartphone app to control the flying machine. Its Real-Time FPV 720P HD Camera allows the user to capture photos and videos while in the air using a smartphone. This flying machine has been the favorite of many drone lovers since it's debut because of its versatility.
- Amazing footage feeds. Its FOV 120° 720P HD FPV CAMERA is high-quality that captures memorable moments to give the user a clear view on their phone screen;
- Stable hovering. The ALTITUDE HOLD mode allows the drone to suspend in the air even hands off to keep the quadcopter hovering and provides Easy, stable flight experience for all categories of flyers;
- Cool control out of sight. The HEADLESS MODE offers the perfect orientation for the pilot to take control of the flight with easy and smooth flying;
- High-capacity battery. The RC drone features MODULAR BATTERY AND CAMERA with a 3.7V 1000mAh high capacity battery for a longer flying time. It is recommended to charge the battery with an original charging cable for safety, while the modularized design offers more convenience and protection;
- Use mobile App for flight control. The drone allows the user to download the mobile app and control it using their smartphone to activate multiple functions.
- 720P HD FPV Camera
- Excellent Customer Service
- Altitude Hold
- Headless Mode, 1 Key Home return
- Mobile Control
- Connection Problems
A popular, angular quadcopter with a built-in camera designed for an extensive flight period. It consists of additional units, which includes landing pads and guards, beneficial especially to beginners. The best feature of the flying machine is the blue and purple led lights that makes it very attractive when flown. In general, it is evident that the Snaptain S5C is an efficiently constructed flying machine that satisfies all categories of pilots.
The pleasure of flying a drone comes only from the multiple functions you keep yourself busy with! The cool features of this flying machine will be discussed in the next segment of Snaptain S5C evaluation. For starters, multiple elements, such as return to home function, automatic takeoffs and landing, altitude hold, 360-degree spins, and headless mode, are incorporated into the drone. In case you do not know the function of the headless mode, the headless mode is a characteristic that changes the control orientation to your remote controller from the drone. This feature allows you to push the movement control to any direction you want the flying machine to fly to.
As its name implies, the Altitude mode feature is somewhat self-descriptive. Additional features, including automatic landing /takeoff, aids the streamlining of flight operation, therefore, making it beginner-friendly. Lastly, the function you would love the most; the 360-degree spin allows you to excite your audience as you pilot the flying machine. This spectacular feature, your audience will definitely admire and leave them the desire to buy your type of drone.
- Excellent flight time
- Starter friendly
- Built-in camera
- Stress-free usage
- No GPS Mode
- Restricted Control Distance
- Average Camera Quality
It is a new model of a flying machine designed by TOYEN. One of its numerous features is the 3D flip function which allows you to film while your drone snips or revolves 360-degree for an improved and sophisticated filming experience. Also, the machine will enable you to capture high-quality shots through the HD 720p camera, alongside the incredible Wi-Fi function which allows you to experience the scenery to live through your smartphone. Similarly, after watching online, you can spontaneously save the video for future use.
You can take all the essential high-quality pictures you need with this great drone. As a surplus, you will also get 2 extra batteries in the package if you purchase it. Not only is this a grand offer, but it is also the perfect choice for beginners, as the takeoff/landing buttons are in one feature.
Through the hovering and altitude hold function, you can maneuver the drone progressively without the interference of the air pressure that may initiate the shaking or change in the course of the flying machine.
- Built-in Wifi function
- Features 3D flip functions
- 2 batteries incorporated
- Stores video right from the streaming
- Extremely light, better for inside use as it can’t withstand wind
DBPOWER Discovery FPV Camera Drone
Camera: 720P HD Camera
Control range: 100 feet
Flight time: 8 min
Dimensions: 6.3 x 5.5 x 1.7 inches
Weight: 1.65 pounds
Whenever flying drones is considered, two thoughts come to mind; an autonomous drone with full control of computers or the manual drone that keeps its human pilot under absolute control. Here, the UDI U818A allows the pilots’ full control through its special features that require the skills of the person grasping the remote. Although it offers a little extra, this exciting quadcopter still maintains simple control features which creates a great flying experience. Even with its medium-quality camera for videos, it is a brilliant choice for ambitious pilots.
It is cheap but perfect for flying for kids and adult who are curious about flying a drone. If you need a drone, you want to control and be in charge; this is the option for you as it does not have a complex, GPS flying functions. It responds faster to manage with a considerable speed you can control.
For real piloting experience, stick with this quadcopter as a beginner and develop your piloting skills. The best part of this drone is the affordable price which does not raise your blood level if it crashes. From all indication, there is a possibility you could crash the drone as a result of some errors on your part.
- 3D Flips & Rolls
- REAL-TIME FPV
- HD 720P WI-FI CAMERA
- App Gravity Control
- Two Speed Modes
- 3D View Mode
- HEADLESS MODE/ALTITUDE HOLD
- BONUS BATTERY & SD CARD
- Features WIFI
- Easy to fly
- Fast and quick turning
- Safety alarm
- Allows you to see the video live
- Comes with headless mode
- Short battery life
- Lightweight construction
- Uninspiring images and video
The Best FPV Racing Drones Comparison Table
RISE Vusion 250
Walkera F210 Professional
ARRIS C250 V2
Direct Drive 3-Phase Brushless Motor
1080P FPV Optimized
9.5 x 9.9 x 2.7 inches
19 x 14 x 6 inches
9.7 x 9.7 x 2.5 inches
5 x 5 x 2 inches
3.7 x 3.7 x 1.1 inches
*Scroll right on mobile device to see every item
The Best FPV Racing Drones Reviews
RISE Vusion 250 Racer FPV Electric Remote Control Drone
Motor: 2280kV brushless
Camera: 2MP 600TVL
Dimensions: 9.5 x 9.9 x 2.7 inches
Weight: 17.7 ounces
With its polished finish, the Rise Vusion 250 Extreme is best for drone enthusiast wanting something out of the ordinary. The drone is beautifully designed with a black and yellow color pattern that is inviting to the eye.
It has a crash-resistant segmented modular build with tough injection molded airframe. Such design in a manufacturer’s acknowledgment that any pilot can crash a drone whether newbie or the pro. Therefore, there is no worrying about this drone crashing because no severe damage will occur.
The Rise Vusion 250 Extreme is a ready to fly machine as it comes assembled to start racing immediately. A box of this drone upon delivery contains a piece of the quadcopter, fully assembled, a 6-channel 2.4Hz radio, FPV Goggles, 8GHz video transmitter, LCD video monitor, 600 TVL FPV camera and AA Batteries with a LiPo battery charger.
This drone has 3-flight modes with mode 1 designed for beginner, mode 2 for more control over roll angles, tilt while retaining the auto settings; mode 3 designed for expert pilots to show their flying skills. It lasts for a short time in the air, about 8 minutes, while the full battery charging takes around 90 minutes. Above all, this flying machine glides smoothly and versatile.
- 3-flight modes
- Two optional attractive colors
- Amazing FPV experience
- Massive FPV goggles
- Extended charging time
- Short flight time
Part of the qualities of Walkera F210 Professional Racer is its night vision thanks to its unique 700TVL camera that gives pilots the ability to fly at night. Also, the drone has a viewing range of 120 degrees wide and has a reliable Devo 7 transmitter. Although this drone happens to be among the strangest and massive looking drone for racing despite being a 210 class. However, do not judge by its appearance because it’s one of the best flying machines in its category. It is fast with fantastic design and its a steady buy-and-fly drone in the market at the moment.
This monster is powered by 4 robust 2500kv brushless motors giving it a fantastic performance in the air. Its hunchback like antenna does more than the annoying look it has when you first saw the drone, the antenna gives the quadcopter a transmission superiority that keeps it connected with the fear of ever losing its signal in the race. This is a perfect pro racer drone with a carbon fiber frame for durability.
- Night Vision
- Amazing camera
- Comes with DEVO 7
- Robust motors
ARRIS C250 V2 FPV Racing Drone
Motor: 2300KV brushless
Dimensions: 9.7 x 9.7 x 2.5 inches
Weight: 4.8 ounces
This drone is the favorite of a lot of drone enthusiast because of its design, performance and excellent features. The body is made of carbon fiber frame and carries a mushroom type of antenna making it look classic.
Its lightweight, fantastic body and performance make this drone a perfect machine for racing. Arris Racer 250 is fully assembled ready to fly. It has powerful LiPo 11.1V 1500, Ah 25Cbattery with European adapter for the charger, headlight cables, 4-brushless powerful motors, instruction manual, and other things.
Its ultra-bright headlights sporting 3W white LED bulbs to light your way in darkness give this drone a distinction among others. Also, the tilt-able FPV camera supported by powerful brushless motors and safe battery housing makes the drone a delight for racers.
Its dedicated flight controller powered by 1500mAh battery keeps this racing machine up to 15 minutes in the air. While flying, the drone gives the pilot OSD information including flight time, available channels and battery voltage. However, the only drawback of Arris Racer 250 is its body’s complexity that makes assembling a tough time. But, there are tutorials on how to construct it online if you don’t mind to learn how.
- Quick and responsive
- Protected battery housing
- Bright headlights
- No RTF version
- Poor instruction manual
- Challenging to assemble
This racing drone is among the earliest of FPV, and it's one drone that enjoys the love of the racing community due to its quality components. Unlike most RTF, Emax makes its drone components in-house making it easier for racers to find what they need at best quality and reasonable costs. Therefore, this maker fully supports its drones and gives you the peace of mind to have a flying machine that is reliable, efficient and a great racer and thus, Hawks 5 one of the 2018 releases, is a racing drone to beat for its price and durability.
The Hawks 5 drone packs powerful Emax LS2206 2300kv versatile motors making the quadcopter among the fastest FPV racing machine selling under 250 dollars.
The Omnibus F4 flight controller empowers the drone with multiple flight modes configurations making it a versatile racing machine in its category. It gives newbies and pros flight options to fly the drone according to their capabilities. Learners can use the Angle mode, while pros go with Acron mode. Thus everyone can have fun!
The Hawk 5 is built with a high-quality Foxeer Arrow Micro V2 600VTL camera, along with a 5.8G 48CH VTX sporting adjustable broadcast power as its FPV gear. It allows switching between 25 or 200 mW transmission power as required.
HAWK 5 drone highlights:
- Magnum F4 tower system (stackable)
- Strong carbon fiber frame
- Vibration dampening suspension system
- 30A 4-in-1 BLHeli S DSHOT600 ESC
- Omnibus F4 flight controller with Beta Flight OSD
- Wight of 270 grams with propellers
- Real-time readouts battery voltage monitor, flight time and signal strength of the receiver
- Powerful EMAX LS2206 2300kv brush-less motors
- Avan Flow 5 inch propellers
- 48ch 5.8GHz VTX with switchable broadcast power (25/200mW)
- Foxeer Arrow (Micro v2 600TVL) CCD camera with a 150-degree lens
- Frsky XM+ radio receiver
- Spare arm and hardware. Having a spare part come with a drone is novel. This gesture makes buying Hawk 5 the best choice you can ever make because you won’t experience delay or downtime and no spending extra to fix your drone in case of a crash
- Shipped with dipole whip, RHCP and LHCP Pagoda II antennas. This is another reason why Hawk 5 takes the shine out of other drones in its class because no quadcopter comes with such spare part. The drone comes with all its 3 variations of the antenna and gives the owner options not standard with other racing drones
- Extremely lightweight. Hawk 5 weights 270grams with props, making the most agile of its kind you will ever come across and very ideal for freestyle and tight racing courses
- Great battery compatibility. Hawk 5 is designed in a way that gives you mounting options to secure the battery anywhere you want; top, sideways or bottom. Battery compatibility allows Hawk 5 to accept any battery which also means you can install the higher-capacity battery for longer flight time
- Clean build. Hawk 5 main body frame is built using Magnum F4 Tower System – FC, ESC, Receiver, and VTX. This design allows the drone to have a neatly made body. Nonetheless, it also provides the ESCs safety compared to out on the arms, where they are open to destruction
Although there is no 100% perfect product, but given industry standard and our familiarity with racing drones in its category, we really don’t see anything negative to say about Hawk 5. Perhaps, the maker could have added a red bottom. Also, newer RS2306 motors will make a great addition to its excellent performance, although this may cause a price review upward
UVify OOri Smart Racing Drone
Motor: Direct Drive 3-Phase Brushless Motor
Camera: 1080P FPV Optimized
Dimensions: 3.7 x 1.1 x 3.7 inches
Weight: 0,19 pounds
It's smaller, versatile and can reach a speed of 50 mph. This drone qualifies for this review because we are discussing racing drones and does pack amazing speed with its small but smart size. Think of a drone the size of your palm that is to give you an idea of how small this flying machine looks like. The best attraction of this quadcopter is its versatility for indoor practice for people wanting to perfect their piloting skills.
This drone has everything you need to start a drone racing; it includes the drone, full-color display controller, batteries with USB-chargeable capability.
The drone has an electronic camera mounted on the front which you can use to capture footage along its racing course. It can stream straight into video safety glasses if you have suitable one ready; the goggle option gives you the experience of a pilot in the cockpit, it can be so amazing!
For easier flying for newbies, the drone comprises of elevation and down sensor that makes to quadcopter steadier in the air. This feature makes OOri a perfect machine for the experienced flyers.
Its adjustable lights offer feedback to show you the mode you are flying and give an indication about battery life. It allows you to change your drone light color to match other racers.
Battery life is one of the most crucial components of a drone. It is essential for you as a pilot to pay close attention to it. In this case, battery life is the high point of the drawback of OOri as it offers just 6 minutes of flight time for a fully charged battery even though this is the best one can get for drone its size. Therefore, you need load of cells to extend its flight time. Which can be very inconveniencing.
Closing remark for OOri
Racing with drone is attracting more attention than ever; but as exciting is it sounds, it is not a realm of newbies giving the technical skills needed to maintain and get the right racing drone in the course. This is why micro-drones in the as represented by OOri which brings ready to fly drones to the table is worth considering as it opens up the space for more racing participation.
For the newbies, you need a ready to fly a drone to be able to race, and this is why OOri is a perfect candidate for our conclusion of this racing drone review. Regarding cost and other technicalities, this drone takes away all the heavy lifting and gives you both new and old racers the tool to join the race, so grab it!
- It has a lot of features that you will love
- Perfect drone for beginners as well as advanced flyers to use
- Ready to use drone
- Might not have the advanced features that more experienced Pilots might want
CCD camera type: It is a charge-coupled device (CCD) image sensor used by the camera to deliver high-quality feed for enhanced FPV operation.
CMOS camera type: It refers to the camera using a complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor (CMOS) image sensor which is mainly more affordable compared to the CCD cameras, but not ideal for FPV operation.
DIY racing drones: A do-it-yourself homemade racing quadcopter.
FPV (First Person View): The use of a monitor, a screen, or goggles for a real-time view of what the drone’s multirotor camera is seeing.
FPV camera: A specialized camera that provides footage feed for first-person-view racing, piloting, photography, or videography to enable the pilot to see what the drone camera sees.
FPV goggles: A specially designed set of glasses for viewing the things the multi-rotors camera of a drone sees, live.
FPV racing: A sport involving drone pilots race against one another around a prearranged course.
FPV system: It comprises of the entire drone rig, from the connecting parts to the multirotor itself, to the controller and video display system.
Frequency: This is a radio frequency the FPV equipment used to transmit signal, and it’s sometime brand-dependent. It allows for multiple channels, so the pilots don’t interfere with each other in the air.
Head tracking: it’s an FPV goggle mod that lets the drone pilot adjust the camera’s angle in the air by tilting your head to adjust appropriately.
Interpupillary distance: the inner goggle lens range from the middle of the pupils of the eyes.
Jello: It refers to video vibration caused by the multirotor.
LCD monitor: It is a screen, commonly attached to the controller for viewing things a multirotor’s camera is seeing in real life. This is usually used in place of goggles to see what the drone is seeing.
The line of Sight (LoS): Ability to physically look at your drone in the air while piloting.
On Screen Display (OSD): It offers the pilot flight telemetry data (speed, altitude, battery life, etc.) on the FPV monitor.
Receiver: It accepts the camera’s feed as transmitted and relays it to the chosen display (screen/goggles) unit for viewing.
RTF (Ready to Fly) racing drones: The FPV racing Drones needing no additional assembly after purchase.
Transmitter: This is a component that relays the camera’s feed to the receiver for the pilot to see.
TVL (Resolution): Refers to the quality of camera production that helps to determine video feed quality and sharpness.
Video Latency: This refers to the delay in transmitting live footage from the camera to the viewing screen/goggles which may disrupt flight and cause poor maneuvering during racing and bad aerial video or photo shoots decisions.
How FPV Racing Works
The FPV drone racing is an exciting sport.
The racers can fly their drones up to 50mph mph, even faster through very unimaginable terrains and deliberate obstacle areas following a preset aerial mapping that serves as the race course.
The race track is designed to be challenging and test the ability and piloting skills of the several racers participating in the game. Unlike recreational routes, the professional racing track is not for the regular drone pilot as the race track is specially made to challenge the individual racer.
The Types of FPV Drone Races
Information available from FPVRacing.tv says there are 3 options open to racing pilots:
This is a traditional racing design where the multirotor course through a predetermined track to orderly rank racers per time of crossing the finish line.
2. Drag race
Think of 100meter race. It’s a straight line where 2 or more multirotors compete to test acceleration and the top speed of the racers.
3. Time Trial
This race test the best time each racer can cover the racing track.
How can you find Races?
If you are keen on entering a drone race, the following suggestions might help:
1. Google: “your location + FPV drone race.”
2. The Drone Racing League
4. U.S. Drone Racing Association Calendar
There are Different Leagues/Championships
Drone Racing League.
The seasons of DRL comprises of various races that pilots accumulate points; the pilots with the highest score will make it to the World Championship.
MultiGP Drone Racing League
It has chapters across the world involving events and different classes involving all types of FPV participants; the race is the leader in event management and FPV racing.
The World Drone Racing Championship
This event is a convergence of drone racers from many countries. The 2016 event was held in Kualoa
Ranch in Hawaii and hosted pilots from 30 countries who competed on 4 courses with 6 different games every day.
For networking, you can turn to Google to show you a professional drone racer in your neighborhood by typing “Your location + the racing league” or you can also search “location + recreational drone racing league” and see what you come up with and follow up.
You may be also interested to check out these articles on our website: